When we thought about how best to celebrate Evans Cycles roots as a company in its 90th year, a British-made bike, true to F.W. Evans’ ideals, seemed most appropriate. British-built and British-designed is rarer now than it was in F.W. Evans’ days, but there are still a few select cycle manufacturers in the UK that have survived the changes in manufacturing over the last few decades.
Pashley are one of our favourite cycle brands here at Evans, we love their hand-crafted quality and their second-to-none finish. Still painstakingly hand-built by their time-served craftsmen in Stratford-upon-Avon, using traditional lugged and brazed construction methods that F.W. Evans himself would recognise and approve of, the choice seemed a logical one. When Pashley agreed to build a bike for us based on their ever-popular Clubman Country model, the F.W. Evans branded 90th Anniversary bike was born.
“It is a pleasure to work with Evans on this project as both our companies were founded in the Twenties by pioneers in the cycle trade. It is their legacy that has ultimately brought us together to celebrate a magnificent Anniversary. Congratulations!” - Pashley’s M.D, Adrian Williams
We opted for a build that would have been typical for an F.W. Evans cycle in the 50s and 60s, combining old fashioned charm with new age performance. Touring and road bikes were F.W. Evan’s speciality so a wide-ranging and lightweight tourer was deemed most suitable for a celebration of Evans’ roots.
Available from July and in strictly limited numbers, the bike will be priced at £1645.00srp. For more info please see: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fw-evans/90th-anniversary-special-edition-touring-bike-ec029308
And now you can win this bike! All you have to is to enter our 90th Anniversary competition! Competition closes on 12th August.
• Frame: Reynolds 531 with investment-cast cut-away lugs; classic geometry; cast dropouts with mudguard eyes; bottle cage mounts and pump peg.
• Fork: Reynolds taper gauge oval blades; investment-cast crown; classic small radius bend; cast dropouts with mudguard eyes.
• Headset: Tange Levin CrMo (NJS) 1” threaded
• Wheels: 36H/36H double wall Rigida sputnik double-walled, double eyeleted, box section rims, polished alum¬inium finish; double butted stainless steel spokes; large flange, quick-release alloy hubs (sealed bearings).
• Tyres: Panaracer Pasela Tourguard 700x32c.
• Crankset: Stronglight impact 52/42/30 Polished silver finish, 170mm crankarms.
• Gears: Shimano 5700 105 front & rear derailleur with Sturmey Archer bar-end shifters; SRAM PG-950 9sp Speed cassette, 11-32 sprockets
• Brakes: Dia-Compe DC750 centre-pull calipers; Gran Compe GC202 traditional levers with gum rubber hoods.
• Pedals: VP 337TR sealed bearing, CNC Cr-Mo axle, assembled with toe clips and leather strap.
• Saddle: Black Brooks Swift black leather; titanium chassis.
• Handlebar: Classic dropped handlebars with Black Brooks leather tape.
• Stem: Nitto Technomic Forged alloy quill 1”.
• Frame size: 20″, 21.5″, 23″, 24.5″ (centre to top); 28.6/28.6/25.4 Down tube/Seat tube/Top tube.
• Accessories: Stainless steel mudguards; bottle cages. Limited edition frame number plate (1-90)